Wednesday, October 23, 2019

Filming the Commercial

      Filming the commercial wasn't as difficult as I though before. I had assumed that being a one man group would've made the process more challenging, but it was way easier. The hardest part was dealing with the heat, everything else was dealt with after a little effort. Using the hardware was more of a challenge for other groups, which I happily lent a hand to before I started filming myself. While filming the only main problem I faced angling the camera, I was too tall for the camera to sit flat on the tripod. The solution to this problem was to tilt the camera up or to extend the tripod stand, either produced the same effect. Having no one else to move the camera during filming gives me a chance to add it in while editing, which will be a lot smoother than if it were done by hand. Throughout filming I was able to find suitable angles and found no real troubles. I found it just as easy being the only actor as well.
      Acting in the commercial didn't take a lot of effort. There is no dialogue, all I needed to do was look over a railing and walk, and the most troubling part was the heat. The scenes were so basic that it comes down to slight preferences when choosing which ones to include. The setting of the first few shots took place on a walkway outside of class. Today the Sun was shining its brightest and made filming almost unbearable. Which was made even worse when taken into consideration the outfit I had to wear. It got better once I decided to move out to the track, as there are more trees there to provide shade. At the track, the shot I wanted to get only required me to walk forward to the track. I started from a point where my back would be covering the camera, which will come into play hiding a cut. Once I got a few takes of that, I was ready to head back and dump.
      In my storyboard, I didn't plan on going out to the track. The reason I made this decision was because the walkway where my commercial was planned to solely take place on was too small for one of the shots I had planned. The shot I couldn't get required me to get a long shot of myself standing at the railway. However, even if I put the camera the furthest back it could go I could only get a medium shot. So I had to think of something quick and decided to add a shot of me walking out to the track. Not only would this add more clarity to what my character wanted to do, it also gave me a chance to add a transition. The transition taking place after I put on the hood of my jacket. After, I walked toward the camera and covered up as much of the frame as I could. I'm planning for this to cut to a shot of me walking out to the track, with me starting in front of the camera. Now all I need to do is get the clips I want to insert and I'll be ready to edit.

No comments:

Post a Comment